2.13.2011

Memories of Her...

I decided to create a new little series dedicated to my mom.  Little memories of her.  Things to keep her spirit alive, and things to look back on as I may begin to forget them.  This photo here is the essence of mother.  She was my best friend and biggest fan.  God I wish I could physically show her all of my creations from the past few years.  So here is memory number one, as it pertains to current events in my own life...



A few days ago, I stumbled across someone on etsy who is obviously copying my work.  It hurts my heart and makes me feel violated.  And I wish my mom was here today to talk about it b/c she of all people knew very much how this feels.  She started her jewelry business making pieces of art made from china dishes.  I am wearing one in the photo above.  It was her original idea that she birthed and brought to life, and over a course of almost 30 years, this baby grew to be a big beautiful very much loved idea.  After a few years of doing it, many others started to create the same things, even people who worked for her and whom she sold wholesale to.  It was a very sad thing to watch b/c I saw the pain and heartache it brought to my mom, and the disrupt it brought to our family b/c of fighting.  Yes, these things do cause real harm to real people.  It is a very sad thing to watch someone steal your work b/c they have no creativity in themselves.  So for years my mother just kept on doing her thing and creating works of love.  For the most part it was okay, b/c she was still able to feed her family and all of the important things.  But in the end, it very much had alot to do with her sickness I believe b/c it caused alot of stress and worry and strain on her business.  As these other peoples companies grew bigger with her idea, it was harder and harder for her to compete with them, especially b/c some of them were even having them mass produced in other countries.  Which is wayyyy sad.  But my mom always held her head high and stayed true to herself.  She never ever gave into changing her jewelry to become something more stream lined.  She always kept it true to herself, and I admire that about her so very much.  She has taught me so much about being an artist, and being myself.  So now that I am finding myself in the same boat, Im wishing I had her to talk to about.  Now that she has had a lifetime of wisdom on the subject, I wish I knew what she would say.  So, I guess my memory of her for this time, is just about being the amazing artist and business woman that she was.  And I pray that I do not let these people consume me and make me sick like her.  Im not saying that is what gave her her cancer, but I know that the years of stress about things like this definitely contributed to it.  I intend to slowly grow my business in the same manner as she did, with lots of hard work, lots of love, and by staying true to myself.

I love you mom.

PEACE,
Laura

8 comments:

  1. Our illnesses are so very much the surroundings we have and the lifestyles we have. I do believe a lot of her sickness was this. It's sad that people don't see what they do to others. We need to try to be uplifting to others and not undercut one another. You never know if you will be the straw that broke the camel's back. Keeping doing what you love. You are amazing and noone can duplicate YOU. You are too unique and people who have good intentions can spot the fake. Being successful is not about money. It's about looking back on your life and seeing you stayed true to yourself and kept on trucking. And always left love where ever you have gone.

    And sometimes there is just no beating around the bush. Occasionally people need to be called out on their indiscretions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that people copy your work, especially when they dont have any creativity and just create stuff to make money... YOU on the other hand, create stuff out of love, and I think with your built up business people know you for who you are.

    Always be true to yourself, because we all love you and your work :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. I do not believe this... at least not when it comes to robbing someone of their creative ideas.. it is seriously so frustrating. I've had it happen a little bit with me. It seriously give me the sickest feeling in my stomach. People don't understand what it really does to people. They "create" for money... when the person who they took the idea from creates for the creating part, to make something beautiful. The idea was born in them.. and carried out through them.. and when it's stolen it's like the idea was kidnapped... I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish I knew what to tell you... You are a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this! It sucks that some people feel the need to copy someone else's hard work. :( Well despite it all, anyone who knows you knows that your work is one of a kind! You create beautiful things and you are a beautiful person. Try not to let this bring you down! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you. I was SO mad when I started to see someone in one of the flickr groups I joined, copying my crafty idol. I went to the copycat's blog, and her writing was a complete ripoff too. Trying to use the same "cutesy" language, and it just didn't sound right. She opened an Etsy shop and was trying to sell her counterfeits, too.

    The crafty goddess, however, remained totally cool and in time the copycat was kicked out of the group. She hasn't made many sales out of her shop either. In the end, it really doesn't pay to copy another person's genius.

    I know this is really upsetting right now, but your copycat will reap what she is sowing. You have very loyal customers and fans. That's what really matters.

    I would imagine your mother would be very proud of all that you have accomplished. Take pride in that. While we aren't her, we love you too. You are an inspiration in all you do. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. this put a beautifully sad but wonderful smile on my face, I hope you feel better about the situation soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post full of love and memories. Thank you for sharing this with us. Be strong darlin, you are a talent young women with unique and original ideas. Stay true to who you are and have pride in the fact that your heart is full of inspiration and you do not need to copy others work. You are a true artist

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow... you moved me, especially because i was raised by a beautiful woman who taught me to never do anything just for money, she taught me how to love the art of everything handmade. You, as it seems your mother was as well, are an amazing woman. To stay true to oneself and never cease to believe, truly believe, in the dream that started it all...that´s what my mamita would probably tell me...so I´ll just pass it on to you. Have a beautiful and creative day! Hasta luego!, Clau

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!