1.28.2011

Elsie & Emma's DIY Cakestand

Today's sponsor DIY comes from the Red Velvet girls, Elsie & Emma.  They are sharing a sweet little way to turn vintage glassware into adorable new cake & treat stands!  Emma uses these in her sweet shop display.  Love it.  I think I would like to make some with vintage china since I love color and old china so much.  This would be a great idea for a handmade wedding!

 
All you need: vintage or thrifted plate or ashtray and small vase or
cocktail glass, epoxy glue
 
 
First, if you get your items second hand make sure to wash them before
you use them. Place the plate upside down on a flat surface. Apply a
small amount of epoxy glue to the bottom edge of the vase or glass.
Glue the glass onto the plate in the center. Place a heavy book or two
on top while it is drying. Make sure to read the directions on your
epoxy glue, as different brands have different drying times. Once your
new cake stand is dry, set it right side up and fill with baked goods!
 

If you create one, please share it with me & the girls!


PEACE,
Laura

13 comments:

  1. that glass one is so so pretty ... & i love that you could find the items to make this at a thift store, something simple & totally unique. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable DIY they are two clever ladies :)
    So going to give this ago.

    Zoe

    http://blessedbeeapothecary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on another blog and absolutely love it! I'm dying to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so simple and so sweet! Definitely have to try :)
    Love, Andrea
    PS: I'm doing a giveaway, check it out :) http://doortopemberley.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable and easy idea! I wish I owned more cakestands and such, but this is so much more clever. I'm definitely going to take a trip to the thrift store to find some cute dishes to practice with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea!!! I love them they look sooo beautiful. The first thing I have to do..is be a better baker so I have something to put on the stand, then maybe I'll give this a whack! Hearts, janna lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bunch of thrifted candlesticks and plates that I've collected for my wedding. I was going to make them into cake stands, as well as centerpieces. (I saw this awesome display from Nonpareil, an online magazine.)

    *The tiny cupcake stand is ADORABLE!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. i had all the plates and things to make several of these but alas i had to leave them when i moved, but one day i shall rise agaain hahaha, but for now i thank u for sharing the type of glue you used cause i was never sure on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute craft, and I imagine it's very affordable! I'll have to try it soon -- I always need an excuse to go to a thrift store ;).

    x Hilary
    oneclutteredlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is cute! I especially like the single cupcake stand :)

    Hi! Im new to your blog :) I found it through Emma's and I really like it :) The colors on your blog are great! And I really like "links" and "shops" images. Did you design this blog youself? its awesome!

    You've got a new reader!

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I featured this on my Weekly Favourites section on my blog http://the-red-deer.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favourites_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im so glad everyone loved the DIY... just to clarify again, it was not my DIY, its from Elsie & Emma, the RVA girls :)

    Betsy, thank you so much! and yes, I design my entire blog and all of the buttons myself. Its been a long work of love!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!