9.29.2010

Goal Share - whole foods

One of my goals this year was to get back to eating healthy. Something I was very fond of just over a year ago, and have stopped caring about since being so involved in my business. Well, its taken me this long into the year to do it, but Im doing it. On our way back from Louisiana, we grocery shopped at Whole Foods. We dont usually b/c its pretty far away, over an hour from our house. But we enjoyed it so much, and it was so inspiring to come home and eat better, that we have decided to start shopping there more regularly.

We used to shop at Sun Harvest, a smaller healthier grocery store, but they dont carry some of the things I like to get. Only whole foods does. I feel like the extra drive and a few more pennies per item are worth my excitement about getting back to it. I need this. My body is telling me so.

So, one way to make your normal boring grocery trip exciting, is to take your camera along! On our way out we got yummy fresh fruit smoothies, which curved our hunger until dinner! Yay for whole foods!

And of course, I wore my favorite PPP shirt since there was a bit of a breeze in the air :)



Do you have any favorite whole food recipes you want to share? Leave it in the comments, Im sure everyone who reads would love to get some new ideas!

PEACE,
Laura

12 comments:

  1. oh one thing I couldn't get right! :< eating healthy :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try bountiful baskets. http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ they might have a place close to you.. I love apple muffins the recipe i use for them is

    1 1/2c flour
    3 ounces quick cooking oatmeal
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    2 apples cored and cubed
    3/4 c milk
    1/2 c agave (you can use brown sugar as well)
    1/4 applesauce (can use butter as well)
    1 egg

    Heat oven to 375* spray pans or line with paper liners

    in a large bowl whisk together flour, oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger

    in a small bowl mix apples, milk, sugar, applesauce and egg until well mixed

    add the apples to the flour mixture. stir until just combined. spoon batter into muffin cups.

    bake for 20-25 min until lightly browned..

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE whole foods, I thought I lived far from one (I'm 40 minutes away). I would so shop there more often if it was on my way home. I try to find the healthier option at the local grocery store, but there are just somethings you can only get at whole foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a chef at a health food store and have awesome recipes!!!!
    Quinoa hippie bowls;
    Key Lime raw bars;
    Quinoa Tabbouleh;
    Greek Lentil burgers;
    Healthy cookies;
    Various curries- chickpea my fave;
    Ginger melon juice;
    Thai coconut lemongrass rice;
    so many more... the best part is that they dont TASTE like overly healthy food, they are filling and delish yet whole and super healthy.
    LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm with you... i need to start eating healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anony Miss- thank you so much, those sounds yummy! have to try!

    Melanie, oh gosh those all sound fabulous. i use to work at a restaurant that made amazing foods like that, i just cant remember alot of it. i need to get better cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/913

    This pie is oh, so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kacia, thanks so much, i bet its awesome!!! will check out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. KALE CHIPS! So simple, d-lish and healthy. Take a whole head of organic kale and roughly chop up the leaves into "chip" size. Toss them in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, sea salt, and raw garlic. Spread them out on a cookie sheet and back at 375 for 10-15 minutes keeping a close eye on them so they dont burn. Crunchy, salty, healthy chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and my fave mid-afternoon snack is simply an apple, cut into slices, dipped into chunky almond butter. mmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh gosh, kale chips sound delightful! thanks! i love apples and peanut butter, i like almond butter and have some, but my hand ALWAYs goes for the peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!